Subscribe online for mybusiness
My Business contains fresh,
easy-to-read articles, money-making
tips and expert advice.
Sign up for our E Newsletter
Our free, weekly newsletter brings you the best of this site, plus giveaways and other fun. Sign-up now and receive every digital edition in 2014 of My Business FOR FREE!
10 per cent of Aussie invoices include incorrectly calculated GST
Story by "Justin Grey" | September 3, 2012, 7:50 AM
Simon Foster, CEO of Shoeboxed, an SME that offers receipt scanning services, says most Australian businesses, both large and small, are still getting their GST calculations wrong 13 years after the introduction of Goods and Services Tax in 1999.
“Where it often goes wrong is when someone has simply subtracted 10 per cent from the total invoice instead of dividing the total by 11 and subtracting that amount,” Foster explains. “Whilst that might not seem like much, if it’s on a six or seven figure invoice, or it’s happening on a monthly basis, that can add up to some big numbers missing from your bank account.
“Unfortunately, when the organisation issuing the invoice or receipt gets it wrong, it can have a serious knock-on effect with the business up or down the line. We’d estimate 10 per cent of tax invoices are incorrect – but those 10 per cent of invoices will affect a much greater percentage of businesses. That, in turn, causes a considerable drain on time-poor business owners having to make amendments to their invoices when the mistake is realised.”
Although the ATO will refund any GST overpayments, the onus is on the business owner or their accountant to bring the error to the ATO’s attention. However, Foster says most overpayments are never found or reported.@mybusinessau on Twitter for breaking stories throughout the day.
Register now to receive the FREE weekly My Business Headlines e-newsletter, which every Tuesday morning delivers all the latest news for SMEs straight to your inbox. Find out why you should join the SME Association of Australia.
Government news for business
To get on top of the threat, click here to access a Symantec.cloud White Paper and discover:
- The top 6 security trends SMBs need to protect yourselves against
- A Security Essentials checklist - the essential security controls required to cover these threats
- How Cloud Security services can offer significant benefits in security your business
Most popular stories
- Interview: Ruslan Kogan on social media, entrepreneurship and how startups can succeed
- 2014 My Business Awards: How to Enter
- My Business iPad and iPhone app now has four issues free!
- Announcement: Finalists in the 2011 ActionCOACH My Business Awards
- Facebook launches Small Business Accelerator Program