Subscribe online for mybusiness
My Business contains fresh,
easy-to-read articles, money-making
tips and expert advice.
Sign up for our E Newsletter
Our free, weekly newsletter brings you the best of this site, plus giveaways and other fun. Sign-up now and receive a free digital edition of My Business.
The government research that shows why you need to improve your online customer service now
Story by "Justin Grey" | January 25, 2012, 9:01 AM
The federal government’s annual study of how Australians want to interact with it has found, once again, that we want to go online when we have to deal with government agencies.
Changes in service delivery channel used
The 2011 edition of Australians' use and satisfaction with e-government services, the sixth annual such study, found that “When there is a choice between using the internet or some other channel, the internet is the preferred method of contact with government. Just under half (47%) of those for whom the internet was an option used it in their most recent contact with government, with a similar proportion (46%) saying they prefer the internet over other forms of contact.”
But the study also found that for transactions involving payments 54% of us still want to do it face to face.
The study is a bit sneaky because it includes phone calls in the “e-government” category of interactions. The inclusion of phones means the study offers figures such as 65% of Australians preferring the e-government channel, when in fact about a third of people use the internet and another 30% use the phone.
But the study also makes it clear that people from all age groups and locations want online interaction, noting that even over-65s are accelerating their use of online channels.
The lesson to take from this study? We all have to deal with government from time to time and with the feds noting a preference for online interaction, consumers will become increasingly accustomed to the kind of service government offers. It seems sensible to familiarise yourself with the way governments conduct themselves online as they may well be a benchmark worth exceeding!
Government news for business
To get on top of the threat, click here to access a Symantec.cloud White Paper and discover:
- The top 6 security trends SMBs need to protect yourselves against
- A Security Essentials checklist - the essential security controls required to cover these threats
- How Cloud Security services can offer significant benefits in security your business
Most popular stories
- Interview: Ruslan Kogan on social media, entrepreneurship and how startups can succeed
- My Business iPad and iPhone app now has four issues free!
- Announcement: Finalists in the 2011 ActionCOACH My Business Awards
- Facebook launches Small Business Accelerator Program
- 2013 ActionCOACH My Business Awards: How to Enter