Subscribe online for mybusiness
My Business contains fresh,
easy-to-read articles, money-making
tips and expert advice.
Sign up for our E Newsletter
Our free, weekly newsletter brings you the best of this site, plus giveaways and other fun. Sign-up now and receive every digital edition in 2014 of My Business FOR FREE!
Minister Shorten to introduce changes to Fair Work Act
Federal Minister for Employment, Workplace Relations, Financial Services and Superannuation, Bill Shorten, has announced he will introduce into Parliament new legislation amendments to the Fair Work Act that will affect SME business owners.
These will include introducing a uniform 21-day time limit for lodging either an unfair dismissal claim or a general protections claim resulting from dismissal, while also giving Fair Work Australia the option to be able to dismiss some unfair dismissal claims from the outset.
This decision comes as a result of the recent Fair Work Act review and will help to prevent claims that don’t meet the jurisdictional requirements under the Act being made against business owners. Additionally, the costs of claims without merit or without a strong case may be ordered against the complainant.
“Whilst we accept that the system is working very well, we accept the proposition that we need to provide absolute certainty for small and medium-sized enterprises so that claims which are without merit, if they continue to be pursued, can either be dismissed or alternatively the person making the claim… should carry the risk of paying the costs,” Shorten said.
53 recommendations were put forward for review and 17 have now been responded to, with more review recommendations expected to be adopted in 2013.
Before you terminate an employee, it’s recommended that you seek legal advice. For more on your options, click here.
Follow @mybusinessau on Twitter for breaking stories throughout the day.
Register now to receive the FREE weekly My Business Headlines e-newsletter, which every Tuesday morning delivers all the latest news for SMEs straight to your inbox. Find out why you should join the SME Association of Australia.
Government news for business
To get on top of the threat, click here to access a Symantec.cloud White Paper and discover:
- The top 6 security trends SMBs need to protect yourselves against
- A Security Essentials checklist - the essential security controls required to cover these threats
- How Cloud Security services can offer significant benefits in security your business
Most popular stories
- Interview: Ruslan Kogan on social media, entrepreneurship and how startups can succeed
- My Business iPad and iPhone app now has four issues free!
- Announcement: Finalists in the 2011 ActionCOACH My Business Awards
- Facebook launches Small Business Accelerator Program
- 2013 ActionCOACH My Business Awards: How to Enter