Subscribe online for mybusiness
My Business contains fresh,
easy-to-read articles, money-making
tips and expert advice.
Sign up for our E Newsletter
Our free, weekly newsletter brings you the best of this site, plus giveaways and other fun. Sign-up now and receive a free digital edition of My Business.
Small Business Support Line reaches milestone 60,000th call
As previously reported in the July 2012 issue of My Business (pg 26), the Small Business Support Line has been a heavily relied upon resource for Aussie small business owners since its launch on September 3, 3009. Since launching, the Small Business Support Line has, on average, received around 80 calls every working day from small business owners and people looking to start their own business.
“The 60,000th call came from South Australia – someone calling on behalf of a sole trader who wanted to know the difference between a PTY LTD company name and a registered business name for a sole trader,” Federal Minister for Small Business Brendan O'Connor (pictured below during a visit to the SBSL call centre earlier this year) said.
"The SBSL agent was able to explain that this was due to the different business structures between setting up a company and running a sole trader, and guided the caller to online information on government websites. I’m advised that the caller said they were happy with the information provided.”
The top five call enquiries have remained relatively consistent over the three years:
- Registering a new company or business.
- Obtaining government grants and incentives.
- Starting a business.
- Registering an ABN.
- Making changes to an ABN.
“Almost 90 per cent of the calls are resolved by the Support Line agent – our agents are expertly trained and work with various Commonwealth and State governments and small business programs to understand information and help small businesses need,” O’Connor said.
Besides the 60,000 callers, a further 3,800 people have used the SBSL Line Live Chat online facility. The SBSL can be reached on 1800 777 275 from 0800 to 2000 AEST on weekdays.
Follow @mybusinessau on Twitter for breaking stories throughout the day.
Register now to receive the FREE weekly My Business Headlines e-newsletter, which every Tuesday morning delivers all the latest news for SMEs straight to your inbox. Find out why you should join the SME Association of Australia.
Government news for business
To get on top of the threat, click here to access a Symantec.cloud White Paper and discover:
- The top 6 security trends SMBs need to protect yourselves against
- A Security Essentials checklist - the essential security controls required to cover these threats
- How Cloud Security services can offer significant benefits in security your business
Most popular stories
- Interview: Ruslan Kogan on social media, entrepreneurship and how startups can succeed
- My Business iPad and iPhone app now has four issues free!
- Announcement: Finalists in the 2011 ActionCOACH My Business Awards
- Facebook launches Small Business Accelerator Program
- 2013 ActionCOACH My Business Awards: How to Enter