Businesses in 13 local government areas (LGAs) along the NSW and Victorian border will be able to apply for $5,000 and $10,000 grants from 8 September until 18 October.
Eligible LGAs for the Southern Border Small Business Support Grant include Albury, Balranald, Berrigan, Bega Valley, Edward River, Federation, Greater Hume Shire, Hay, Murray River, Murrumbidgee, Snowy Monaro, Snowy Valleys and Wentworth.
The support grant can only be used for eligible expenses incurred following the introduction of the NSW and Victoria border permit scheme on 8 July 2020.
Further, the grant must only be used for expenses for which no other government support is available. For example, the grant cannot be used to pay wages for staff eligible for JobKeeper.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the grant is designed to support small businesses doing it tough through the current border restrictions.
“We know people in border communities like Albury-Wodonga, Yarrawonga-Mulwala and Echuca-Moama usually move between towns, with closures having a significant impact on day-to-day business,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“The NSW government is investing in targeted relief to help ease the pressures and costs of keeping businesses open while borders remain closed.”
Eligibility criteria for the border grants
Tier 1: $5,000 grant eligibility:
- Non-employing businesses or businesses that employ fewer than 20 full-time equivalent (FTE) staff
- Have an Australian Business Number (ABN) as at 1 March 2020 registered in an eligible local government area (LGA)
- Have experienced a decline in turnover of at least 30 per cent since 8 July 2020 compared to a period of at least two weeks between 30 March 2020 and 7 July 2020 inclusive
- Have total Australian wages below the NSW government 2019–20 payroll tax threshold of $900,000 as at 1 March 2020
- Have an annual turnover of more than $75,000 as at 1 March 2020
- Have costs from 8 July 2020 associated with surviving or adapting to the new business environment, for which there is no other government support available
Tier 2: $10,000 grant eligibility:
- Meet all the eligibility criteria for the $5,000 (tier 1) grant, except they must:
- Be an employing small business with fewer than 20 FTE staff, but more than the minimum employment requirement of 0.5 FTE staff
- Have experienced a decline in turnover of at least 75 per cent since 8 July 2020 compared to a period of at least two weeks between 30 March 2020 and 7 July 2020 inclusive. Applicants must submit evidence to show they have experienced a decline in turnover of at least 75 per cent.