COVID-19 vaccines will protect the health and wellbeing of Australians as well as facilitate our social, economic and cultural recovery.
Businesses can encourage, support and provide information to their employees about getting vaccinated against COVID-19.
The Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ACCI) has developed an employer guide for businesses to navigate the national COVID-19 vaccine rollout.
The guide centres on five things employers can do right now:
- Communicate, encourage and support employees to get vaccinated. This can be done by providing access to reliable and accurate vaccine information including where employees can get vaccinated.
- Assisting employees to get vaccinated by being as flexible as possible so employees can attend a vaccination appointment.
- Having sensible conversations with employees which may include mandating vaccinations for role types and how the workplace will approach COVID-19 vaccinations to ensure all employees are safe.
- Keeping accurate and up to date records. Employers can legally ask employees about their vaccination status and if an employee chooses to disclose their status this information must be kept in line with applicable privacy laws.
- Taking preventative health and safety measures. As per WHS laws, an employer must, as far as is reasonably practicable, ensure the health and safety of employees in the workplace. This includes taking measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 at work.