A novel new survey of more than 6,000 Aussie employees by Sydney employment law consultancy Employsure has revealed the 10 most annoying things that employees do in the workplace that piss off their colleagues.
According to the 6,225 Australian employees from businesses of all sizes that Employsure surveyed in late July of this year, the top 10 workplace annoyances, in order of annoyance, are as follows. Drum roll…
- #1: The smell of hot food (ie, curries & fish dishes) causes offence.
- #2: Personal hygiene – not washing hands in the toilets, clipping toe nails or picking noses at desks.
- #3: Taking your shoes off at your desk.
- #4: When workers bring crying babies into the office.
- #5: When colleagues take your possessions without asking; i.e. mugs and stationary goods.
- #6: Leaving the kitchen facilities in a messy state.
- #7: The quick-fire spread of idle office gossip.
- #8: Sending unnecessary emails to colleagues.
- #9: Co-workers skiving (being at work, but not actually working) and not putting the required effort in.
- #10: Use of unnecessary vulgar language.
“Whilst it may seem comical, it really is not,” Employsure Managing Director Edward Mallett stresses. “Annoying habits lead to bad workplace relations, and ultimately cause conflict in the workplace. Employees are all individuals and it is only natural for each person to have their individual quirks and customs. However, think about the impact on your fellow colleagues.
“One of the biggest bugbears is workers who do not pull their weight; this can be annoying for both employer and employee. All workers have just as big a part to play as their employer in ensuring such habits are minimised. Annoying office habits are very much a serious workplace issue.”
Another annoyance that just missed out on a place in the top 10 was people who come to work despite being ill, which may seem like the right thing to do but it can be a serious annoyance when germs are spread.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Do you agree with these 10 workplace ‘piss-off tactics’? While we agree that all 10 are pretty annoying, we’re a little surprised at the order they’ve been ranked in. We could think of heaps of things more offensive than the smell of hot food… . What do you think? Leave your comments below.
Follow @mybusinessau on Twitter for breaking stories throughout the day.