Hi it’s Tania again from Flowers by Fruit, here to give you a brief insight into my world and a typical day as a Flowers by Fruit franchisee.
The beauty of my business is that no two days are ever alike and outside of peak seasonal times it can be hard to predict how busy any day will be. Although my monthly forecasts are pretty accurate, each day can offer unique surprises.
If I did ever have a ‘standard’ day, it would look something like this:
- There are usually two of us that start the day. Our start time can varies between 5.30-6.30 on most days. The morning is always the busiest as we make all our products fresh and deliver the same day.
- The first person will set about preparing the orders that came through the previous day whilst I process the orders which came in overnight and start making up the arrangements. Between the two of us we manage the workshop, shop front and phone so being able to multi-task is an essential quality for any Flowers by Fruit team member. During peak times the number of people working in the morning can increase to six.
- As we accept orders for same day delivery until 10am you can imagine we often get bombarded with last minute orders between 9.30am and 10am and the challenge is getting all these orders out the same day they’re made - we never leave arrangements overnight.
- Whilst working between the workshop and office I also have to be aware of any special customer requests and specified delivery times so I can brief all my drivers on where they’re going.
- Once the madness and the mayhem of the morning is over and our drivers are on their way, we set about cleaning the workshop to get it ready for the next day.
- The rest of my day is spent processing orders, answering the phone and responding to any e-mails, then just before we close for the day we order the fruit that is required for the next day. We have to take into consideration the orders we already have, but also try and estimate how much fruit we will need for the same day orders we might receive the next day.
- We usually run a promotion most weeks so this involves using our social media and our newsletter to let our customers and fans aware of how to enter and then making up an arrangement for the winner. At the moment we’re running Freebie Friday where the first person to walk into our Creation Centre at 4pm on a Friday claims their free gift.
While the job involves juggling so many different tasks, this is what makes it so rewarding. We see Flowers by Fruit as ‘delivering happiness’ and it’s great when our customers give us positive feedback. The other day I received this email which made me smile:
“On Saturday, I ordered a bouquet of ‘Eves Temptation’ for my mum on her birthday. I just wanted to thank you because she loved it so much. Everyone at the party also commented on how beautiful the bouquet was and how fresh the strawberries were - sweet enough with just the right amount of tartness! It was gobbled down quicker than the birthday cake! Thank you again!”
Feedback like this gives me a huge sense of pride and satisfaction and shows me that I made the right decision to start this business all those years ago.
But as the saying goes, “A woman’s work is never done!” so once I leave the Creation Centre at 5pm my real work begins - spending time with my son - another demanding but very rewarding role!
Stay tuned, next month I’ll be back to discuss the things I’ve learned so far, and boy is there a lot!