Reckon’s ambitious plans for expanding its SME offering may have to wait after the proposed $180 million acquisition of its accountant group by MYOB fell over.
MYOB announced that it has terminated the contract with Reckon on the basis that the deal could not be finalised by today, as per the original agreement penned in November last year.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission had expressed concerns over the transaction, and together with the New Zealand Commerce Commission, extended their review periods to 21 June, three weeks past the contract’s expiry date.
In a statement to the ASX on Thursday 31 May, MYOB said the two parties could not agree to mutually acceptable terms to extend the contract.
Reckon managing director Australia and New Zealand, Sam Allert, is disappointed by the developments, but told My Business’ sister title Accountants Daily that he sees a silver lining for a significant portion of Reckon’s client base.
“A lot of our clients left MYOB to come to us, and didn’t want to go back. That was the feedback we’ve had, and the feedback the regulators have had from the market,” Mr Allert said.
Reckon had said that the $180 million from the sale of its Accountants Practice Management division would be used to grow its SME accounting software offering.
Adam Zuchetti is the editor of My Business, and has steered the publication’s editorial direction since early 2016.
- ‘Don’t assume how employees will react to redundancy’
By Simon Rountree
- Customers behaving badly: ‘My time is worth more than yours’
By Adam Zuchetti
- What businesses can learn from Sir Roger Bannister
By Adam Zuchetti