Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
Receive the latest mybusiness newssign up
Another Aussie retailer calls in administrators

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.

Another Aussie retailer calls in administrators

Ed Harry store

Yet another Australian retail chain is on the brink of being confined to the history books, with news that menswear retailer Ed Harry has gone into voluntary administration.

In a statement released late on Tuesday (15 January), KPMG announced that it had been appointed as voluntary administrators over Specialty Mens Apparel Pty Ltd, which trades as Ed Harry.

The firm’s Brendan Richards and Gayle Dickerson will manage the administration process.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Adelaide-headquartered Ed Harry began trading in 1993, and was later relaunched in 2011, growing to a network of 87 stores nationally and employing 498 people.

“Ed Harry is a long-established, iconic Australian menswear business,” Mr Richards said.

“Like many other Australian retailers, after a strong period of growth, it has faced a challenging environment over the past 12 months — and a particularly tough Christmas sales period. It has also become clear that shopping centre footfall has been significantly weaker than expected.”

In KPMG’s statement, the retailer’s managing director, David Clark, said that retail competition — not just in bricks and mortar but also online — has been “fierce”.

SPONSORED CONTENT

 

“While this was to be expected, the directors had been exploring options for funding to enable Ed Harry to continue to compete and grow, however to this point have been unsuccessful,” he said.

“Today is a difficult day for all our hard-working employees and loyal customers.”

For the time being, stores will continue trading as normal, while the administrators explore options to save the business from collapse, including potential for a sale.

Ed Harry has already embarked on a major clearance sale in a bid to clear stock. It’s website states that shoppers will receive “25 per cent to 70 per cent off absolutely everything”. Meanwhile, gift cards will only be honoured for one month, on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

The first creditors meeting has been scheduled for 24 January 2019 and will be held in Adelaide.

Adam Zuchetti

Adam Zuchetti

Adam Zuchetti is the editor of My Business, and has steered the editorial direction of the publication since the beginning of 2016. Before joining My Business, he worked on fellow Momentum Media titles The Adviser and Mortgage Business.

The two-time Publish Awards finalist has an extensive journalistic career across business, property and finance, including a four-year stint in the UK. Adam has written across both consumer and business titles, including for News Corp Australia and Domain.

You can email Adam at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

comments
FROM THE WEB
Another Aussie retailer calls in administrators
mybusiness logo