logo
Receive the latest mybusiness news
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Copyright © 2020 MOMENTUMMEDIA

Fine increased eightfold after government appeal

Adam Zuchetti
Adam Zuchetti
05 June 2019 1 minute readShare

A court appeal by a government agency against a fine for failing to supply documents to safety regulators has seen the penalty increased by more than eight times for a Perth-based business.

Western Australia’s Building and Energy Division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety said in a statement that the hefty penalty increase was levelled against Jason Aaron Nominees Pty Ltd by the Supreme Court.

According to the government body, Jason Aaron Nominees and a second business — Pascoe’s Electrical Contracting Pty Ltd — were each fined $3,000 by a court for failing to provide required documents demanded by electrical safety inspectors.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Building and Energy appealed the $3,000 penalty handed to Jason Aaron Nominees, arguing against the perceived lenience of the fine.

Justice Jeremy Allanson upheld the appeal and imposed a new penalty of $25,000, and also added costs of more than $7,000.

 

The appeal hearings concluded on 16 May, although Building and Energy only issued its statement on the matter on Tuesday (4 June).

“This significant fine should serve as a reminder that anyone participating in a regulated industry will face consequences if they don’t meet their obligations and responsibilities,” said Ken Bowron, the regulator’s director of energy safety.

“Non-compliance with any aspect of WA’s electricity legislation can ultimately put people’s safety at risk.”

The regulator added that the same business was previously fined $8,000 after it was found to have operated as an electrical contractor without a licence for a two-month period in 2014.

SPONSORED CONTENT

 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Fine increased eightfold after government appeal
mybusiness logo
Adam Zuchetti
Adam Zuchetti

Adam Zuchetti is the editor of My Business, and has steered the publication’s editorial direction since early 2016. 

The two-time Publish Awards finalist has an extensive journalistic career across business, property and finance, including a four-year stint in the UK. Email Adam at [email protected]

Leave a Comment

Latest poll

Should the government make further amendments to JobKeeper?