Global accounting and advisory firm Deloitte has named eight businesses as Australia’s best privately managed companies, with a furniture retailer and two automotive dealers among those being lauded.
At a dinner in Sydney on Tuesday night (15 October), Deloitte named the eight winners of its Best Managed Companies awards, the first time they have been held in Australia, having been established in Canada back in 1993.
The 2019 winners are as follows (listed in alphabetical order):
- ActronAir (Marsden Park, NSW) – HVAC (airconditioning)
- Alto Group (Chatswood, NSW) – automotive retailing and servicing
- InfoTrack (Sydney, NSW) – business technology
- Intrepid Travel Group (Melbourne, Victoria) – travel and tourism
- King Living (Turella, NSW) – furniture retailer and manufacturer
- Motorama Group (Moorooka, Queensland) – automotive retailing and servicing
- Northern Territory Airports (Darwin, NT) – aviation
- True Alliance (Sydney, NSW) – clothing distributor
According to program lead Natalie Faull, the businesses were assessed on “four key pillars”, being their:
- business strategy
- capabilities and innovation
- governance and financials
- culture and commitment
To be eligible, the businesses must be headquartered in Australia, have earned revenue in excess of $75 million in the most recent year of business, be privately owned and have operated for at least three financial years, with financial documentation to prove this.
“It’s about celebrating the passion, focus, dynamism and growth that Australia’s best private companies are renowned for,” Ms Faull said.
“They are often the disruptors — developing and adopting new technology swiftly, supporting local communities in unique ways and always looking for growth and success beyond our borders.”
Deloitte confirmed it plans to continue the Australia version of the awards on an annual basis.
Separately, My Business unveiled the 2019 finalists for the My Business Awards earlier this month, which recognises excellence among Australian small and medium-sized businesses. The winners will be announced at a gala dinner in Sydney on Friday, 15 November.
Adam Zuchetti is the editor of My Business, and has steered the publication’s editorial direction since early 2016.
- Australian manufacturers can create their own stimulus
- Here’s what separates success from the rest
By Adam Zuchetti
- 5 workplace trends to watch in 2020
By Nicole Gorton