Kae Hum, the network’s head of enterprise sales-marketing solutions, addressed an exclusive event for Optus My Business Awards winners and finalists from 2017 at the Optus Innovation Hub in Sydney this week.
According to Mr Hum, having a great professional profile delivers an “easy catch” for new business opportunities, because “sometimes clients come to you”.
But this easy source of opportunities can be lost if your LinkedIn profile is not up to scratch, making it a simple yet effective means of portraying yourself as knowledgeable and experienced person to do business with.
Mr Hum said LinkedIn constantly assesses the attributes of its best-performing profiles, and found that profiles with the following basic traits comes up trumps.
- Have a picture, and make it professional: “There are actually lots of users who have cropped their spouse out of their wedding photo,” he said. Instead, he suggested the profile photo should be a clear head and shoulders against a professional-looking background.
- Keep the image recent: Strangely, some people are content with using that great photo of them from years ago. But if the photo isn’t recent, it can put off people who have met you in person but don’t recognise the photo. And vice versa, you can’t fool anyone first “meeting” you online when time comes for them to meet you in person.
- Write an attention-grabbing headline: Not having a headline, or one that bores people before they have even finished reading it, won’t encourage people to connect with you.
- Make your summary compelling: Just as you would with a CV, a marketing message or a presentation, put your best experiences and insights forward, and use simple language and succinct expressions to help readers quickly identify your main points.
- Detail past work experience: Doing so “delivers 12 times more engagement”, said Mr Hum.
- Add examples of your work: You know what you do, but others may not. Bring your profile to life with a few examples that highlight your core skills and experience.
- Speaking of key skills, list them: Using the relevant section to list key skills helps people to find you, as they are used as part of its search algorithm and for SEO purposes.