Federal Minister for Small Business Bruce Billson has announced that the 17-strong Small Business Ministerial Advisory Council has met for their first official meeting to advise the Abbott Government on small business.
The 17 members of the Small Business Ministerial Advisory Council (listed below) have been tasked with providing advice to the Australian Government on programmes and providing an environment to encourage small businesses to prosper.
The Council will play an integral role in the Government’s effort to remove $1 billion worth of red tape out of the economy and to allow small business operators to spend more time with their customers and not filling out paperwork.
In a press release from his office, Billson said the group brings a diversity of views and experience to the task of ensuring government small business programmes achieve positive change in the lives of small business people and the greater economy.
“A strong economy needs a profitable and dynamic small business sector to generate jobs and wealth across the country,” Billson said. “We want to make Australia one of the best places to start and grow a small business and that can only happen if we have a solid partnership with those on the ground.
The Ministerial Advisory Council will meet at least four times a year. Members of the Small Business Ministerial Advisory Council include:
• Alex Malley – CPA Australia.
• Andrew Conway – Institute of Public Accountants.
• Daniel Clarke – Enterprise Network for Young Australians.
• David Gandolfo – Commercial Asset Financial Brokers Association of Australia.
• Professor Dennis Foley – University of Newcastle.
• Ian Birks – Australian Services Roundtable.
• Kate Carnell – Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
• Ken Phillips – Independent Contractors Australia.
• Mark Brennan (pictured) – Australian Small Business Commissioner.
• Mark Brodie – National Retail Association.
• Phil Kemp – Business Innovation and Incubation Australia.
• Robert Mallet – Council of Small Business of Australia.
• Robin Buckman – Family Business Australia.
• Russell Zimmerman – Australian Retailers Association.
• Tim Reed – MYOB.
• Wilhelm Harnisch – Master Builders Association.
• Yolanda Vega – Australian Women Chamber of Commerce and Industry.