Australia’s peak public research body, the CSIRO, has released its blueprint for how Aussie manufacturers can prosper despite an uncertain future.
The Advanced Manufacturing roadmap was devised in conjunction with researchers, industry and government to identify major growth opportunities and the steps required to take full advantage of them.
“The Advanced Manufacturing roadmap is the compass that guides our excellent science to deliver the breakthrough innovation needed to re-imagine Australian advanced manufacturing,” says CSIRO chief executive Dr Larry Marshall.
“Australian science can turn disruptors and increased globalisation into opportunities for value creation right here at home.
“Whether it’s 3D-printed sternums to save lives, or 3D paper weaving to help Australian SMEs break into global value chains ... as the great Billy Hughes said, ‘Science will guide the manufacturer into greener pastures’.”
Keys to manufacturing success
“Australian manufacturers must transform their businesses by investing in new knowledge, skills and practices,” explains CSIRO manufacturing director Dr Keith McLean.
According to Dr McLean, the main factors manufacturing businesses should address are:
• Integration into international value chains as manufacturing continues to become more globalised;
• The ability to attract and retain staff, particularly those with skills in customer interface, digital literacy, leadership and STEM capabilities;
• Increased diversity among employees; and
• Improved business-to-business collaboration.
- Reader question: Can someone block the sale of my business?
By Adam Zuchetti
- Slashing customer response times no pipe dream
By Adam Zuchetti
- Legal view on dealing with errant employees
By Geoff Baldwin